Skip to main content

How to file motion to extend court date and to reopen discovery after new trial date is set?

Van Nuys, CA |

I retired my lawyer to represent myself after the initial court date in September was continued to December. I found out my lawyer did not follow through with discovery. There are few pieces of evidence not submitted/discovered. I need to postpone court date further for more time to get myself up-to-date with my case, learn court procedures, and prepare for trial. I also need to reopen discovery so I can get a depo from plaintiff.
Per CCP code 2024.050, “...This motion shall be accompanied by a meet and confer...”. Can you elaborate why? Does the process of filing/granting said motion differ depending on whether opposing party agree or disagree with the request? Is court appearance required for this motion? Do I send a copy of filing to opposing attorney?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You are actually writing about two motions: 1) a motion to continue trial date; 2) a motion to reopen discovery.

With respect to your questions regarding the motion to re-open discovery and the meet and confer requirement the reason is that, if all other parties agree, it would not be necessary to obtain a court order. The parties would simply conduct the discovery.

If a motion to re-open discovery is necessary because the other parties will not agree to the additional discovery you must file a formal motion consisting of a notice of motion and motion, points and authorities, and a declaration showing good cause. You must fully discuss items 1-4 of Code of Civil Procedure 2024.050(b) in both your P&As and declaration.

Yes, a court appearance is required and you must timely serve all other parties with a copy of your motion. Remember you cannot sign the proof of service yourself.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer