Skip to main content

How to file a writ of habeas corpus if you are in jail in Salisbury Maryland.

Salisbury, MD |

My friend has seen no search warrants or evidence and has been held without bail on drug charges. He needs to file a writ of habeas corpus. How can he go about this while he is detained? He currently has a public defender, which he has not seen.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


He needs to discuss this with his lawyer. A writ of habeas corpus may not be the appropriate avenue of relief.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia


Only he or his attorney may do so. He should contact his attorney.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.


A petition for a writ of habeas corpus is a complicated matter to handle. Your friend may attempt to file one on his own (perhaps with the assistance of the law library, if one is available). The better course of action is for your friend to try and make contact with his or her public defender for assistance with this matter.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided as a public service and is for general information purposes only. Nothing in this post should be treated as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This post and the information contained herein is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not create or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. If you want advice or guidance that is specific to your situation or case, then you must privately consult with a private attorney or public defender.


You seem to say that the criminal matter is still pending in trial court. If so, avenues beyond habeas corpus may be available for seeking relief. Not receiving discovery from the prosecutor yet does not automatically guarantee him relief. All the best to your friend. Jon

None of my comments on AVVO's website constitute legal advice. It is only food for thought for matters to address with a qualified laywer. My website's disclaimer page at applies to all my answers on .


This is not a circumstance that sounds like a habeas corpus issue, at least not at this stage; rather, if your friend has been charged with criminal offenses, and the judge either denied bond or has set the bond too high for him to meet, then he needs to file a motion to reconsider his bond status. Requesting a writ of habeas corpus is something you do when a person is being held without being charged with anything, or is otherwise in some sort of legal limbo where no case or hearing dates are scheduled and moving forward. His PD probably has the charging documents and other relevant evidence, or will have it all soon. Although it is sometimes difficult to contact the PD in charge of his case from jail, there are avenues to do that or at least to leave a message, and the PD schedules visits with all defendants whom they represent.