Skip to main content

How to draw an authorization to act as a personal representative of a friend with regard to property?

Rockville, MD |

A friend of mine is currently abroad. It turned out her trip will take much longer than she had planned. She needs to retrieve some personal belongings from her apartment here. She wants to ask her landlord to open the apartment for me. Then I would ship her the items she needs. I would prefer to have some kind of a document authorizing me to enter her apartment and retrieve the property. I think the landlord would like it, too. What should we draw? It's just one time thing, when I am supposed to act as her personal representative. Power of Attorney is probably not an option, given that she is in another country.

+ Read More

Filed under: Power of attorney
Attorney answers 2


Power of attorney would be best choice. The document can be sent by by computer to be witnessed and notarized in foreign country and sent back. Communicate with landlord ahead of time to see if they will accept a copy of the document-if not-arrange for it to be "air mailed'.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


It's entirely up to the landlord, really, if he/she is willing to accept a simple letter signed by your friend authorizing you (by name) to act in her behalf regarding all her property within the premises. Your friend could even call the landlord and speak personally to him/her, identifying you and confirming the arrangement without the necessity of a written document. A POA is fine, but seems excessive. It could be sent as a pdf through e-mail, and then signed, scanned and re-e-mailed back to you, but if the landlord is satisfied with the your friend's say-so, then that's all you need.



Thanks! That was exactly my thoughts, too. She's going to call the landlord on Mon and fax a letter, as well. Hopefully, we won't have to deal with the POA.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer