Skip to main content

How to determine court jurisdiction

Dacula, GA |

I have lived in GA for the past 6yr. My 3yr old son was born and has always resided with me in Ga. The father lives in CA and just filed for physical custody of my son by lying on paperwork to make it look like by our son visiting he and his family for months at a time that established CA residency. How do I establish jurisdiction in the State where we live GA and file custody here in GA, when CA incorrectly thinks they have jursidiction over me? The CA Judge told me she has a right to determine jurisdiction and I have to come there with my son and leave him in Ca with father.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You do not have a minute to waste. Call and get an appointment for a consultation with a Georgia lawyer in your area with experience in Family law matters. It doesn’t sound like there is jurisdiction in California based upon your statement, but you need to be sure before ignoring a judge. You may need an emergency order or protective order. Make sure you take your original custody documents with you. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer