Skip to main content

How to demand the opposite party (a big insurance company) to preserve your telephonic voice message to them?

Pasadena, CA |
Attorney answers 3


Send them a letter. However, it is suggested that you communicate via letter so that there is no dispute as to the contents and you have a copy which you can authenticate yourself. Anyway to enforce it -- not if it has already been erased.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


I agree. I will just add that you should send the letter by certified mail, return-receipt requested so you can prove they received and the date they received it. Unfortunately, for those less than ethical, there is no real way to enforce it or prove when it was destroyed.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


Because you used the term, "party" I assume this matter is in litigation. Therefore, you should make a production of document request to include electronic information such as emails, voice mails, etc. Demand that the information be produced either electronically or put on a disc.

This is my opinion and should not be construed as legal advise for your specific case as there are many more facts which you have not provided.