Skip to main content

How to defend "Careless Driving - Crash" Ticket (with 4 points)?

Tampa, FL |

Recently in a local road with tight traffic I hit a vehicle in-front of me. My car damaged and surprisingly the other vehicle didn't damaged at all, even paint (it has towing rod at back.) The Cop came and gave me a ticket with 4 points. The crash report gave me couple of options. Until this accident, my driving record is very clean. I reported the accident to the Insurance company.

What is the best way to do? Since this is the first time I received the ticket and involved in a crash, can anyone suggest me the good way to proceed?
--> Just pay the fine and accept the ticket with 4 points
--> Pay the fine and take driver improvement course
--> Go to court and defend

Actually by car break failed even though Hyundai replaced those several times. Do I need to go via Lawyer?

State: Florida CARELESS DRIVING. DRIVER STUCK THE REAR OF ANOTHER VEHICLE. In violation of STATE STATUTE Section: 316.1925(1) Crash: Yes Property Damage: Yes (with amount) Injury to Another: No Serious Bodily Injury to Another: No Fatal: No Civil Penalty: $153

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

You have options to avoid the points on your license. Given your clean driving history, you are probably eligible to receive a withhold (no conviction, thus no points). You may want contact an attorney to ensure this is done properly. However, individuals appear in traffic court frequently without attorneys and may achieve the same results.

As in any case, an attorney may review the facts to determine whether you have any defenses. Additionally, you should make your attorney aware if there are any civil issues associated with this incident so they may coordinate with the civil attorney to avoid any potential complications with the companion case...if there is one. Best of luck!

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.



I appreciate your response. I would like to defend this by considering "brake failure and steering issues" encountered with my vehicle. Can you let me know the right department to start with? i.e., Traffic (Car Accident) Lawyer --> Lawsuits & Disputes Lawyers Any further direction help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Amanda Powers Sellers

Amanda Powers Sellers


Any criminal defense/ traffic lawyer should be able to help you. Please feel free to contact my office if I can be of assistance. 727-531-2926/ 1-855-PSFfirm


If you want to contest this, you need to get in touch with an attorney soon so they can get ahead of the game. You don't want to lose any rights and you want the attorney to be able to handle things with the DMV as quickly as possible.


You should definitely get a lawyer. Accident tickets should always be fought. Witnesses aren't always the most reliable under good cross examination. Your attorney can raise reasonable doubt with the judge. Furthermore, if you are successful with an attorney, you end up avoiding a big insurance rate hike. I practice in Tampa if you wish to contact me.


Hire a traffic attorney to fight this ticket on your behalf, the last thing you want to do is to pay the ticket and plead guilty. answers provided solely for informational purposes. Answers are not legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. If you are seeking legal advice, contact a competent attorney in your local jurisdiction. Learn more about my practice at