Skip to main content

How to deal with a warrant that is over 10 years old for violating probation with a $25,000 fine

Glendale, CA |

My question is for a friend.. About around 15 yrs. ago, he burglarized his ex girlfriends house. He took a beta player. He was convicted and dd the jail time.. He actually did more time then he was told... He then got out. He was placed on probation and given a fine to pay. But he knew if he stayed in California he would get into more trouble. So he left CA and moved to Las Vegas. Breaking his probation. Where he has lived with his family and has not be in any other trouble. He moved back to California with his family. And would like to deal with the warrant. Would like to turn himself in but doesn't have money for a lawyer... Another issuse is that he is here illegally but years ago did the paperwork for permanent residence. His wife is a resident and did paper work for citizenship. they have a child who was born in the USA. The warrant is for violation of probation and a $25,000 fine.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


I understand coming up with money for an attorney can be expensive. But this fact scenario is very serious. Your friend has multiple issues: potential prison time, the large fine, and potential immigration issues. He needs to find an attorney that can assist him in criminal law and immigration.


Get a lawyer.

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.


My colleagues are correct. You have multiple issues that have to be dealt with. You need a criminal attorney for the warrant and immigration attorney .



As a Former Deputy District Attorney who has been doing these cases for 26 years, it sounds like your friend is in violation of his probation of a Felony Strike. This is a serious matter and needs to be dealt with very aggressively and, in my opinion, preparation is everything, in a case like your friends. He needs a law firm who has experience in these matters, and should contact an attorney immediately. I wish your friend well...................David


He clearly needs a lawyer.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.


He needs to get a lawyer to negotiate a surrender on the warrant and manage the consequences. If he already appeared in court, he may have already qualified for the public defender's services to assist with the surrender. But the warrant and his dire situation won't merely go away. He'll need to deal with it sooner or later. Best to do it on his own terms rather than get picked up.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia