Skip to main content

How to count years of marriage after remarried?

Dallas, TX |

I married with my spouse in 2000 and divorced in 2006 and then remarried to each other again in 2008 till now, if I file divorce petition, how to count the total years of marriage? Should I choose 2008 as the date of married for petition?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You don't count the total years of marriage. This divorce only addresses the current marriage, so you would use the 2008 date as your date of marriage. Those fill in the blank forms leave a lot to be desired. If you have children and disagree about custody or have large amounts of property and retirement, you need a lawyer.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship


They are treated as separate marriages regardless of the fact the parties were the same. You should count only 2008 to present.


You would use your most recent date of marriage, so since 2008.


Yes. You are dissolving the 2008 marriage.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.