Skip to main content

How to convert J1 to H1

Fargo, ND |

i am a student in the North Dakot state University , Fargo right now i have J1 visa with 2 year rule applies. How i can prolong my stay here in USA. i need to convert my J1 visa into H1. Kindly Help to Find out me a proper way

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You first need to get a J waiver. Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


There is no such a thing as converting in Immigration Law.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


The only way you can get an H is to:

1. Go home for 2 years
2. Get a waiver

Meet with an attorney ... many of us use Skype.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.