Skip to main content

How to clear a bench warrant in? NV

Las Vegas, NV |

I was charged a misdemeanor for writing a bad check. I was ordered to pay restitution and during one of the status check my lawyer didn't get the proof of payment that I sent to his office before going to court and now I was told that I have a bench warrant. I cant get further information from my lawyer coz he want another $300 to clear the warrant. I rather pay off the $1800 than spent another $300 for his negligence. I live in WA and want to do resolve this on my own. i have no idea if there is a bail amount. how can I find out without using my previous lawyer?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Since you are represented by a lawyer its best that you try to communicate with that lawyer and explained the situation. If you want to hire another attorney, another attorney would likewise have to file a motion in court and probably charge about the same amount. You can always file your own motion to place on calendar but that may be difficult since you live in WA. Depending on what court the matter is in, you can always contact the court and find out information regarding if there is a bail and what amount its at. However, keep in mind that just because you make a payment does not automatically remove a bench warrant. Thus, make sure it gets cleared. Again, I would recommend speaking with your attorney and explaining again to the attorney why you think its his/her fault.

The answer above is only based upon the limited information provided. The answer is limited and my review is likewise limited, and thus the response is not intended to be acted upon as legal advice. Although licensed in numerous states, I am currently only licensed to practice law in the state of Nevada. No attorney-client relationship is formed until you sign an attorney-client agreement with my office. Any information provided is for discussion purposes only and there is no attorney-client relationship formed. Only general legal information is provided. Each case is unique and accurate legal advise would require review of all details and documents for each specific case. It is possible that the comments here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate.



Unfortunately, my lawyer would not speak to me unless I pay him another $300. I sent in a written request to remove him from my case so that the court can tell me details about my case. To date I paid of the remaining balance and I was told that my case is now dismissed and so is the bench warrant. thank you for your comment.


I agree with George. Call the court department first and see if you can have the clerk check whether your restitution was in fact paid before the last hearing.

Was the restitution paid in full, or is that the $1800 you're talking about? Was it supposed to be paid in full? You will probably have to have someone appear to clear the warrant even if your case is done.

Clark County, NV practitioner.



Yes the court received my payment. My lawyer decided not to appear in court (at least that's what the assist told me) when they didn't received a copy of my payment. I sent in a written request to the DA office to removed him from my case so that they can tell me what else to do. To date I don't owe anything and was told by the court that my case was dismissed. thanks for your reply.


I agree with my colleagues and emphasize Mr. Alexander's advice to contact the department your case is with and ask what you may do to close your case and vacate your warrant. Also, you should speak with your attorney.



My lawyer wont speak with me unless I give him another $300. I had to write the court to removed him as my lawyer so that the DA office can talk to me about the case. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer