Skip to main content

How to check if an out of Status F1 student has a NTA ?

Orlando, FL |

I have been out of status for 3 years and would like to know if an NTA has been issued under my name. I found DHS number to check that out.
If NTA has not been issued, will checking for NTA by providing your alien number risk you from getting a new NTA?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No, rest assured merely checking whether or not you had a court hearing scheduled or are otherwise in the immigration court's calendar system will not tigger the issuance of an NTA.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You may check the EOIR system using your A# and it will not trigger action by DHS.



I agree with my colleagues. Calling the hotline to determine whether an NTA has been filed with the court does not cause DHS to come looking for you. However, you should be aware that the hotline only tells you whether an NTA has bee filed with the Court, not whether one has been issued. I have seen cases where it has taken DHS over a year to file an issued NTA with the Court. If your NTA has been filed with the Court, I highly recommend retaining experienced immigration counsel to facilitate your defense.


Hi! You should first call the 800 court number and see if there is any information with regards to your A number. However, just because you are not in the system does not mean that you weren't issued an NTA. You could have been issued an NTA that was never prosecuted. You could also file a FOIA and see if something pops. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer