Skip to main content

How to change my last name on my green card

Las Vegas, NV |

I got married with American citizen about 4 years ago. We filed the green card and we just went to interview. During the interview, interviewer asked me if I wanted to change my last name to my husband. I said "Yes."
Interview went well and I approved. I got a letter from immigration and it said I will get my permanent green card in three weeks.

Here is my REAL question!!

I'd like to keep my last name. I haven't gotten a real green card yet, but it is coming soon.
It will be my husband's last name. But I want to keep my father's last name. All my ID(driver license, school ID, Visa) is my father's last name.
And I do not have social # yet.

What can I do?

Thank you

Visa, Passport (Korean) is my father's last name I also wonder how much it will cost to change it. Thank you so much

+ Read More

Filed under: Immigration Green cards
Attorney answers 1


The name change would be time consuming. I suggest you wait until you are ready to be naturalized. At that time, it would be easy for you to change your name. However, if you need to change at this time, you need to really change your name under the local jurisdiction and without knowing it I can just give you general information. You have to file papers for name change in the appropriate court along with a court fee. Also, you need to print a legal notice in a local newspapers for at least 4 weeks.

Only see a licensed attorney before you make any decision. This answer may not be perfect in any given situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer