Skip to main content

How to change my kids last name if the father isnt on the birth certificate

Las Vegas, NV |

I am getting married to the father of my kids, but hes not on the birth certificate cuz at the time they were born, he wasnt around. How can i change their names to his last name?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Contact vital statistics (or the birth hospital) and find out if it is still possible to have the father sign an acknowledgment of paternity. If so, the matter should be self-correcting; if not, you may have to do a formal name-change of minor children, which should not be difficult.

If you decide you would like to discuss this with one of the attorneys of this firm, please take a look at our consultation policies, procedures, and costs, at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer