Skip to main content

How to catch the person who hit my car in a hit-and-run case?

Pasadena, CA |

I and 2 witnesses all saw the driver, the car and its plate number, but the number was not found from the police’s database after the case was reported to them. Here’s the number: N6WZH. I’m wondering if there are some super lawyers can do something more.

The number looks incomplete as to a california plate number, but i and 2 witnesses for sure all saw it clearly. Could it be a number from other states? and also it was said for some antique cars they have different numbers and may be not registered inside DMV's database. Yes, the car which hit my car does look pretty old.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


An attorney can request vehicle record information (including ownership history), for their client, using a particular DMV form. However, they would need a complete license plate or vehicle identification number to do so.


It will probably come down to hiring an investigator. If you suffered personal injuries consult with a personal injury attorney to assist you with your claim.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.


I think that a private investigator is going to be your best bet.


If you have car insurance, submit a claim to your insurance for the damage, provide all the information. They will pay for your damage and then will do their investigation to try to find this person and recoup what they paid.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed.


Private investigator.


Unless it is personalized plate you are missing characters.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer