Skip to main content

How to arranged uncontested supervised visitation in New York State?

Buffalo, NY |

How can I arrange for supervised visitation of a minor in New York State ?

I have sole custody of my child, and ex- wants visitation, but has had a suicide attempt, drug arrest w/prison time, and is now sharing an apartment with strangers that have their adult male children living with them.

Ex- isn't necessarily fighting or arguing about supervised, but I have no idea how to implement it. Does ex- pay a fee for this service?

Do I have to bring my child to the supervised site? Once a month would be more than enough to bother with that.

Thanks for any insights you can offer. As a single parent I really can't afford more legal fees and am so so grateful.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If and when visitAtion is requested in court you can ask it be supervised. You could arrange for family supervision or at a center. If it occurs at a center you would have to bring the child. Good luck.

This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


There are two ways to do this: 1. voluntarily provide the child and coordinate a supervised setting, or 2. he'll get a family court order where you will lose the "voluntary" nature of the process and be subject to allegations of contempt and more lawyer fees.

Good luck.


While the father seems to accept supervised visitation you might try to work it out voluntarily. The supervisor can just be someone you both agree on, a family member or friend, who is not to biased toward either of you. If this doesn't work out then you can take it to court and have an officially supervised visit. When that time comes consult with an attorney.