Skip to main content

How to answer question number 19 on form I-864EZ sponsoring my husband?

Dallas, TX |

I only filed taxes last year but not the previous two years because I was a full-time student with loans, grants, and no income. I have been working full-time since November 2012 at the same company. I have the IRS transcripts for 2012 filing and e-stubs but employer does not provide employment letters. I got a raise two months ago from $11.25 to $13. My annual income until now is around $18300.

Please tell me what other information that needs to be given to fully answer question 19. Thank you.

Thank you very much; I am pretty sure that by the end of the year the minimum financial requirements will be met. My annual income will exceed the $20 000. can I file I-864 instead?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


I recommend that you do not use the EZ ... and that you talk to an attorney about the possible need for a financial co-sponsor.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


You don't make enough to sponsor your husband, unfortunately. You'll need to get a joint sponsor. Talk to a lawyer about the requirements.


You need to indicate 0 for the years you did not work. It may be best to not use the I-864EZ. I would encourage you to consult an experienced immigration attorney about the matter.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


You need to have an attorney assist you unless you want to risk your case taking a very long time.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.


Yes. You can file an I-864. However, since you do not currently meet the federal income requirements, you will also need a joint sponsor. Consult with an immigration attorney who will be able to assist you with the process and make sure all your documentation is filed correctly.

The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney.


Your tax return needs to show $19387 to sponsor your spouse.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions.


Yes, you will need to file the I-864 and you will need a joint sponsor because you do not have the required 3 years of income tax returns.