Skip to main content

How To answer Part 3 Question 8 and 9 on Form I-864 - Affidavit of support

Roswell, GA |

I am married to a U.S Citizen. We live in the U.S. Came in marriage with one child, my son. He was not born In the U.S. My wife petitioned for both me and my son separately. petitions approved. My wife does not work. She is a full time student, my long time friend is going to be the sponsor for both me and my son.

On Part 3 questions 8 and 9 on the Form I-864.

My Question is:

(a) Is it true that, my wife (remains and is deemed as the main sponsor and as such she is required to complete 2 separate I-864 application forms for me and my son?

(b) The sponsor must also do the same?

If that is true, Pls advise me as to how my wife and Sponsor are supposed to answer Part 3 Question 8 and 9 on both my application and my son's application.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Moving you next door to the Immigration Department. Watch your step.

We give free general concepts to be helpful, but you should give ALL your facts to a licensed Attorney in your state before you RELY upon any legal advice.


a) yes
b) yes

Note that we cannot provide legal advice on What we can do is recommend that you carefully read the instructions and if you still do not understand, seek an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney.

You need someone who can take the time to review your situation. There may be other complications. It is unclear whether you should pay the filing fees at this point. You may be denied without an interview for reasons that have to with your sponsor or your own immigration record.

There are reasons that require the USCIS to deny or deport an applicant that do not require a criminal conviction, just a civil immigration mistake. If you cannot afford an attorney, then there may be a not for profit legal organization with an experienced immigration attorney on its staff. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


Yes and yes. But, we cannot give you the specific legal advice you seek on this open forum. Read the instructions very carefully before you answer. I-864 are intricate legal contracts and you must understand them before you fill them out. If you are still confused, you should consult with a local immigration attorney for further help. Good luck.

This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship between me and the asker.


I agree with my colleague.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.