Skip to main content

How to adopt a family's child without it costing a fortune?

Grand Rapids, MN |

i am married with a full time job. My husband's family member is a heroine addict and she wants to let us adopt, the father is willing as well, but we cant afford the costly fees everyone keeps saying we have to pay. How would we go about adopting the baby without dealing with lots of money and as little input from the county trying to take the baby before the adoption is complete? She is 6 months pregnant right now and we would like to get everything ready before she is born. Please help..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Many times those fees you mention have to do with application costs and costs of studying whether you would be a good parent for your adoptive child. An adoption agency doesn't want the liability of placing one of their children with unfit parents.

Since you are not going through an agency you would not have to pay their fees, but the County may still be involved and there may still be some fees associated with the adoption. The County may still do a home study, but they don't always.

You will also need an attorney to draft the adoption documents. I put some more adoption information in the links below.

Call me for a free consult and we can talk some more, 612-223-7286


There is no "cheap" way to do this. Even if you don't hire an attorney, you'll still have to pay court costs, custody study costs, criminal background check costs, etc. A home study will easily cost a few thousand dollars. Further, there is no way you can get all this done in 3 months - a home study can take more than 6 months to complete (closer to a year in some cases). The mother can certainly give you temporary custody of the infant at birth by signing some papers, but the adoption itself will take much longer.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer