Skip to main content

How to address being forcefully restrained from presenting arguments or making a record

Bronx, NY |

My attorney has been overseeing a custody car before Justice La Tia Martin. The judge has said, "I will not let you make a record", "Only I determine what will be included as part of the record", "If you attempt to speak on any area without my direction, I will conclude the testimony".

My attorney was threatened with sanctions for presenting ex parte letters to the Court then threatened again should any more questions be asked on the topic altogether.

Not sure how to move forward in a case when the judge forcefully restrains presenting evidence or even speaking on the record.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your lawyer should know how to handle this. One thing to consider is for the lawyer to write to the Administrative Judge. However, ex-parte letters are not permitted.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Ex parts communication is most definitely allowed however the issue you bring up is one only your attorney can address.

The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is based upon the facts presented and may change if additional information is provided. The rules of the Bar for New York State may require me to advise that this could be construed as attorney advertisement.


I agree - your attorney should have been aware that ex parte communications are not allowed. As to what your attorney is trying to "get in the record," that depends on what stage the case is at. If the case is in the middle of a trial, then your attorney can simply note his objection if she denies admissibility of a piece of evidence. That way, the issue is preserved for appellate review. In any event, if you're looking for a 2d opinion, please feel free to contact my office for a free initial consultation - my number is 718-725-9600.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer