Skip to main content

How to add name to a deed and seperate from husband?

New York, NY |

I am married with four children, 3 are my husband and 1 from a previous relationship. we have been together for over 5 years and are married less than 3 years. I have been the home provided for the majority of the relationship and we have recently purchased a home within the last 2 years. Due to me not having any earned income my name was not able to go on the loan but would like to add my name to the deed. My husband has decided that the relationship is no longer working for him so he wants to see other people but does not want me to leave the home or the state of New york City with his children. Can i file for sepration, add my name to the deed since it was purchased after our marriage? Will I need consent from him to relocate out of state with my children? What are my rights ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You seem to have several concerns. All of these issues can be dealt with after a consultation with a local family law attorney.


Dear New York spouse:

You really need an attorney. Taking the children and moving out of state without your husband's consent is kidnapping.

I cannot stress how important it is that you hire a family law or matrimonial attorney. Even without your name on the deed you may have a marital right to the home. A court may award you custody of the children, as well as child support and spousal support. If you do anything on your own, you risk the loss of the children, your freedom and financial support.

Read more:

Good luck.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.


Hire an attorney

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer