Skip to main content

How to add my senen neices and nephews to my will in the next 7 days?

Temple Hills, MD |

Myself, my beneficiries and the executor of my estate will all be on the same flights to and from China within the next 9 days.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The best way to do this is to contact an estate planning lawyer. Most lawyers can take care of a Will in less than a day or two.

Good luck and have a great trip!

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.


Mr Frederick offers sound advice, but there is more to this than drafting a simple will. To have an estate plan done encompasses much more. When people do this often times they never go back to do full estate planning, so be careful here.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website is and his blog is <> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


From the way you phrased your question, it sounds like you would like to add your nieces and nephewss as contingent beneficiaries to a Will you already have, in which you named your beneficiaries and Executor (who happen to be traveling to China with you.) You would want to consider amending your Will by signing a Codicil in which you would add your nieces and nephews as contingent beneficiaries should some unforseen tragedy occur on your trip that would preclude your beneficiaries from receiving their bequest under your current Will. You would also want to add a contingent Executor in case your currently named Executor was unable to act. Usually, it is wise to name a contingent Excecutor (in Maryland called a Personal Representative) and contingent beneficiares as a matter of course when establishing your Last Will and Testament. I agree with the attorney who previously wrote that many lawyers would be most willing to prepare a Codicil of the nature you describe with a very quick turn around time. I also agree with the other attorney who wrote that you may want to have a complete plan prepared, including a power of attorney, medical directive and so forth. Funny how traveling abroad is often the impetus for people to get their plans in shape! Have a great time on your trip!