Skip to main content

How soon can i marry after my divorce

New York, NY |

Good day.I wish to inquire how soon i can remarry after i divorce my husband in New York.Do i have to wait for a couple of months or what?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


There is no waiting period in New York.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


New York does not have a waiting period, however be sure to have a certified copy of the entered judgment of divorce in your hands first.


Right away.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


No waiting needed once the judgment is filed.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.


You will need a certified copy of your divorce judgment. Sometimes that takes a few weeks to become available in the clerk's office. More importantly, you might want to consider whether you want to get married so quickly after a divorce, and whether you want to have a prenup or such agreement in place before attempting marriage again. Good luck.


I agree with the other posters - you can marry the day after you pick-up the judgment which has been signed & entered in the clerk's office. Be sure to serve the other spouse with notice of entry of same.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.


The question isn't whether you can marry right away, per the answers of the many attorneys here, but, are you sure you want to? lol