Skip to main content

How soon can I get Residency and how long do I have to leave the country?

Redondo Beach, CA |

I came illegal but I've never had any problems with immigration. I'm married to a Citizen and we started our paper work in november 2012 and was wondering, since things in immigration are changing, by the time I have to leave my country how long should I have to leave? I have a 3 weeks old baby now and Im afraid to have to take her to my country El Salvador and have to leave my husband ( who doesn't speak spanish) for a long time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Please speak to an attorney in person. You matter is rather complicated and one will need more information to give you proper advice. Good Luck!


Hopefully you qualify for the provisonal waiver and will only have to remain abroad for a short while. Your chances of having that outcome would be strengthened if you work with an attorney experienced in waivers.

Feel free to visit my site for more information;

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


Depends on how long it takes you to get an approved I-130, obtain the provisional waiver, make travel plans, do the medical exam, and get an immigrant visa appointment in that order.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


If you have the assistance of an attorney you may only be abroad for a few days at the most.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104