Skip to main content

How soon can I divorce my abusive USC Husband after filing for vawa?

Brooklyn, NY |

I filed vawa petition a week ago, but didn't get anything yet. My spouse manages to continue "Driving me crazy", to say nothing, even though we have not been together for several months. I want to file for divorce. How soon can I start divorce proceeding and on what grounds? I want it to be as quick and painfull as possible. and definitely finaces metters also.

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Immigration
Attorney answers 6


You can file for divorce at any point in time. You do not have to stay married to file a VAWA petition.


You can file for divorce now. See a family law attorney to determine on what grounds. Good luck.

714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Schedule an appointment with an experienced local divorce lawyer as soon as possible.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Since you have filed for VAWA already, you can now divorce him. Speak with a family law attorney regarding how best to accomplish the divorce

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


You can file today. Make sure you work with an experienced attorney, my firm handles divorce and immigration issues in NY.
Nicklaus Misiti
Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
212 537 4407

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You may want to speak with your spouse to see if your spouse will cooperate in the divorce. Some lawyers will charge a flat-rate if the divorce is uncontested (no court hearings). Typically, uncontested divorces are much less costly than contested divorces (in court fighting).

Best Regards,
Morghan Leia Richardson, Esq.
Divorce Mediator and Attorney
Richardson Legal PLLC
31-08 Broadway, Suite 204
Astoria, New York 11106
Tel: 212-537-6744
Fax: 212-574-3337