Skip to main content

How soon after an injury do I have to contact an attorney about a personal injury claim?

Lexington, KY |

I was injured in a store three months ago due to negligence on their part. I've felt fine up until now, but lately have had real pain in my neck where some of their stock fell on me. Is it too late to have an attorney start up a personal injury claim for me?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It is not too late. You should contact an attorney as soon as possible so that he/she can conduct the appropriate investigation. There may be video surveillance or other evidence that must be preserved. There may be witnesses who should be contacted immediately before their memories fade. Finally, there is a statute of limitations that applies to your claim and requires that you take legal action by a certain date or your right to claim damages will be lost.

I suggest you consult with a qualified personal injury lawyer in your area immediately. Good luck.


Call an attorney immediately. Do not talk with the insurance company until you have had a chance to consult with an attorney. It is very important that you understand the process before you begin answering questions. You should always tell the truth, but you should be prepared and understand the process before you do. The delay in seeking treatment will be an issue so you will want to consult with an attorney about the best way to address this. Also, be aware that there is a Statute of Limitations on every claim made. In Kentucky the Statute of Limitations is one year from the date of the accident on a premises liablity case. The attorney you consult will advise you as to the time you have.

The author of this posting is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. This posting is intended to provide general information only, and is not intended to provide as legal advice in connection with any specific case or fact situation, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal answers you should consult with an attorney.

Michael Kirby Smith

Michael Kirby Smith


Yes do not attempt to resolve this with the insurance company themselves as it may result in a much lower settlement


no... it is not too late. I would advise you to contact a personal injury attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. There is a statute of limitations applicable to your case. Time is of the essence.


This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.


Contact an attorney ASAP to review the facts and the law. Generally there is a one year statute of limitations to file a lawsuit for personal injury in KY. I assume you were a customer and not an employee. If you were an employee you will have a workers compensation claim that needs addressed as well.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer