Skip to main content

How should my son plead to an MIP charge - such that we can potentialexpunge it from his record during/after arraignment ?

Cumming, GA |

Our 18 year old son was arrested in Athens, GA for an MIP - he was not grossly intoxicated, did not have any evidence of an open container, was not breathalized.
I bailed him out.
He appears for arraignment on Monday.
We financially qualify for a public defender but can't get him to Athens (he is on a schlarship in College) to fill out the request for a public defender (they do not allow you to do it remotely) until after the arraignment hearing on Monday.
What should he plead?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Hereally needs alawyer. So you need to either hire one for him or get him a public defender at court on Monday.


Your son should plead, beg, borrow, and (figuratively) steal for the funds necessary to get a lawyer, and then should hire one. I have seen college graduates have to deal with what happened with MIP cases where they didn't hire an attorney- and they dealt with it as they were denied jobs because of it.

Hire an attorney. There are lots of good ones. Good luck.

Thanks for reading my response to this question. If your found this answer "Helpful" or "The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT, because Avvo awards me points. Thank you! Note that the questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.


Unless there are very aggravating circumstances, the Solicitor's Office in Athens will allow your son to enter the pre-trial diversion program. If he complies with all the conditions of the program, which are usually paying a fine, community service and staying out of trouble for 6-12 months, the charges will be dismissed. The Solicitor also usually agrees to allow his arrest to be expunged, meaning that it won't show up on a criminal background check if he applies for a job.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer