Skip to main content

How should i write to the judge my side of the story for TRO

Los Angeles, CA |

At our ex-parte hearing the judge said that I could submit my report as I live too far away to attend the hearing physically, but I do not know where exactly to send it and to whom. I am assuming to the main address of the court, but not sure if the report should be address to the judge himself or not addressed at all, but then again there are lots of departments, so I am really confused. This is a domestic violence case. I need to send this tomorrow.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are many courts in Los Angeles, from Central to Pomona and elsewhere--so I have no way to know where your case is.

The address if the court is on whatever paperwork you have. Send it to the DEPARTMENT your case is in. Send it net day mail and send a stamped self addressed envelope for "conformed copies.

Google Los Angeles Superior Court" if you need more details, but limited representation would be preferable

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.


Send to the court room and to the judge in the court room where the ex parte hearing took place. I'm assuming by "report" you are instead referring to a declaration. In addition to mailing as suggested by my colleague, you should also try fax-filing. If your case is venued downtown - Central (111 N. Hill Street), their fax-filing number is (213) 633-1955. You will need a fax filing cover sheet:

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus


Last I checked fax filing was not set up for pro pers... payment options were limited. Here is a document with ALL the phone numbers.

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus


see also


I am assuming that the original poster has already finalized his/her response and sent it to the Court given the time frame referenced in the question. Generally speaking, the way that you present your "side" of the story is to file a DV-120 (Response to Request for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order) with an attached Declaration. Because you claim you are unable to go to Court, I would make it very clear in the Declaration why you are unable to appear and advise the Court that they are welcome to call you. Otherwise it could appear that the matter is technically uncontested.

Whatever response that is made needs to be FILED with the Family Law Clerk where the case is being heard and, if close to the hearing, ideally a courtesy copy should be delivered to the Department hearing the case (generally listed on the "Notice of Hearing"). As required, this needs to be done, and served, at least 2 days before the hearing.

DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.



Thank you...could you please also tell me if the MC-030 should be also sent to the person who filed the T R O against me or just to the court.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer