How should i pleD @ arraignment hearing for first charge of driving w expired DL more than 4 mos?

Palm Harbor, FL |

I was pulled over by Pasco Co Sheriff on 5/7/2012. I was not aware my lic was exp. i had at prior time gone to DMV to update address but i did not have cert cppy of adoption records for name change trail and have had rxtreme difficulty getting cert copy as court divisiOn nO longer exists. No help fr officiatIng court at all. I explained thos to officer but he told me that it was Felony traffic charge even tho only 2 misdemeanor. I asked several times if i was being arrested and taken to jail in which he replied "we'll get to that." i was handcuffed & taken to Pasco Detention Ctr wher fingerprinted & photoed,,, arrested. I was never advises of my rights at any point. I was held for 6 hts and released ROR. I reciebed notice of arraignment for May 31 at crim court in Pasco Co FL. Help

Best Answer

It is always best to seek the advice of an attorney prior to entering an type of plea. The arraignment is the formal reading of the charges. At the arraignment it isn't a time for you to explain your situation. The Judge will give you an opportunity to say guilty or not guilty. It is probably best to plea not guilty and then seek the advice of an attorney to discuss the potential defenses and any mitigation in your case to present to the Prosecutor.

This is not intended to be an attorney-client relationship and is my opinion only. Consult with a local attorney for additional advice

At arraignment for first driv w exp more than 4 mos will i be able to request public defender if plead not guilty as i recieve SS Dis & SSI as only income??

AnneMarie Rose Rizzo

AnneMarie Rose Rizzo

Yes you can request a public defender. They will have you complete an affidavit to determine if you qualify.

So plead "not guilty" & request pub defender or request continuance & request pub def???

AnneMarie Rose Rizzo

AnneMarie Rose Rizzo

I would first request a public defender to see if you are approved for one. If the Court approves you for a PD then you will likely plea not guilty and they will give you another court date.

Thank you ms. Rizzo esq. i cannot adequately express my gratitude. My health is poor and the worry & stress have been affecting my well being. Thank i again & keep ip the fabulois worl!!!

I believe officer told me was traffic felony to scare me. No previous offences & asked sev times if i was being arrested & going to jail. Officer rePlied "we'll get to that" and checked computer, handcuffed me & put inyo cruiser & taken to detention ctr. He Then indicated i was being arrested to myself @ my daughter who came to puy vehicle and that i prob would mot stay overnite in lock up but released in several jours . Never informed of miranda rights at any point. During arraignment i requested representayon by PD but was denied..i do qualify as on very low fixed Se income but not even given opp to fill forms to find out. I believe if plead no cont or guilty prosec was going to offer probation. I will check to confirm but think judge said wasnt entitled as jail time not being sought. ??? I plead not guilty & judge asked questions what prob in getting renewed. Told her many attempts to get cert adoption papers for name change trail but that fam court no longer ecisted in dade county & no one in dade could direct or help me. Told judge i eould continue to try even if had to make toad trip. I cannot afford priv attny as my income below pov level guidelines. Can i be denied a PD wo even filling affidavit to see if qualfy? I need guidance @ representation as i feel iarrest protocol Not followed. Was misdmnr @ arrmmnt but of approx 40 others arr before me & granted PD i was denied . Arent i legally allowed to be interviewed for qualificatin of court appt rep even if only 2 deg misd charge????

I believe officer told me was traffic felony to scare me. No previous offences & asked sev times if i was being arrested & going to jail. Officer rePlied "we'll get to that" and checked computer, handcuffed me & put inyo cruiser & taken to detention ctr. He Then indicated i was being arrested to myself @ my daughter who came to puy vehicle and that i prob would mot stay overnite in lock up but released in several jours . Never informed of miranda rights at any point. During arraignment i requested representayon by PD but was denied..i do qualify as on very low fixed SSSDI & SSI income but not even given opp to fill forms to find out. I believe if plead no cont or guilty prosec was going to offer probation. I will check to confirm but think judge said wasnt entitled as jail time not being sought. ??? I plead not guilty & judge asked questions what prob in getting renewed. Told her many attempts to get cert adoption papers for name change trail but that fam court no longer ecisted in dade county & no one in dade could direct or help me. Told judge i eould continue to try TO locate adopt docs. I cannot afford priv attny as my income below pov level guidelines. Can i be denied a PD wo even filling affidavit to see if qualfy? I need guidance @ representation as i feel iarrest protocol Not followed. Was misdmnr @ arrmmnt but of approx 40 others arr before me & granted PD i was denied . Arent i legally allowed to be interviewed for qualificatin of court appt rep even if only 2 deg misd charge????

I believe officer told me was traffic felony to scare me. No previous offences & asked sev times if i was being arrested & going to jail. Officer rePlied "we'll get to that" and checked computer, handcuffed me & put inyo cruiser & taken to detention ctr. He Then indicated i was being arrested to myself @ my daughter who came to puy vehicle and that i prob would mot stay overnite in lock up but released in several jours . Never informed of miranda rights at any point. During arraignment i requested representayon by PD but was denied..i do qualify as on very low fixed SSSDI & SSI income but not even given opp to fill forms to find out. I believe if plead no cont or guilty prosec was going to offer probation. I will check to confirm but think judge said wasnt entitled as jail time not being sought. ??? I plead not guilty & judge asked questions what prob in getting renewed. Told her many attempts to get legal papers for name change trail but that divisionno longer existeno one in dade could direct or help me. Told judge i eould continue to try TO locate adopt docs. I cannot afford priv attny as my onceome below pov level .Can i be denied a PD wo even filling affidavit to see if qualfy? I need guidance @ representation as i feel iar Artest protocol Not followed. Was misdmnr @ arrmmnt but of approx 40 others arr before me & granted PD i was denied . Arent i legally allowed to be interviewed for qualificatin of court appt rep even if only 2 deg misd charge????

Sorry forultiple post questipns. Didnt seem as "submit" button respomding

At this point you should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney to go over the specifics of your case and the best course of action to take.

John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

Your post is a little confusing. You said you were charged with driving on an expired license which is at most, a misdemeanor; but you also say that you were told this is a felony traffic charge. That could be the case if you have 2 prior driving on suspended license charges and the officer decided to charge that in this case. You need to talk to an attorney. I handle Pasco county if you wish to give me a call and I can see how I can help.

The deputy was probably mistaken about your situation being a felony as driving while license ssuspended is typically a misdemeanor charge. Further you were ROR'd so that would be a misdemeanor under the bond schedule.

One additional issue you need to be aware of is becoming a habitual traffic offender. If you receive 3 driving related offenses within a 5 year period you may be designated a habitual offender and lose your license for 5 years. I would not advise entering a plea at arraignment. Feel free to contact my office if you have any further questions.

The information presented is for information purposes only based on the information provided. An attorney client relationship is not formed.