Skip to main content

How should I fill I-864 file if I am the petitioner and have no income?

Dallas, TX |

I am filling I-864 because I am the petitioner only,and I have no income at all. my brother-in-low is the only joint sponsor. for example in part 3 in the file, they ask if I will sponsor what should I write I have no money. How should I fill it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


As a petitioner, even if you don't have income, you still have to fill out the I-864. You indicate there that you will have a co-sponsor. If your income is zero, then you have to put zero. If your brother-in-law has enough income to meet the poverty guidelines for the beneficiary's adjustment of status application, then the fact that you don't have income should not be an issue.

JP Sarmiento, Esq.
(216) 573-3712


Write that you have no income on form I-864.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. In addition, without income, you probably have not filed taxes in the last three years. Under the instructions for the I-864, you should submit a short explanation why you have not filed. If it is because your income was "0" then the letter should say so. Go through the instructions before you submit the I-864.


You fill it out accordingly and still file. You will need a co sponsor.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer