Skip to main content

How old does a child have to be to decide which parent to live with?

England, AR |

I always fall out with my mum and she never believes anything i say,when it is the truth. She expects me to run around after her cleaning up and looking after her two babys when she gets annoyed with them,and I hardly get to see my dad so i want to move to his house.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


In actuality a minor child does not get to decide which parent they want to live with. Those decisions are left to the parents in the situation. Practically speaking, if one the non custodial parent filed for a change in custody, then your wishes (depending on your age) can be taken into account.


Age 18, but the older a kiddo gets to the age of 18, the more likely the Judge will consider the desires of the child.



Okay;if my dad lost the court case;would I be stopped seeing him? And would I have more chance living with my dad if he has 2 other kids instead of four others? Only one downfall;he don't get as much money?


The court will look at what is in the best interest of the child in making these decisions. Age is a factor to consider. The older a child gets, the more likely it is a judge will listen to the child, but the judge has the final word.

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I will not appear in court simply by posting on this site. If you would like me to represent you, you must call my office, sign a written fee agreement and pay a legal fee, assuming I do not have a conflict of interest and you are in Southern California. If I respond to your question and you have follow up questions by posting on this site, I may or may not reply. This information should not be construed as legal advice. I am offering my opinion. Each person's case is unique, and that's why you should contact a lawyer over the phone for a consultation for your situation. That's why you should not rely on any response that an attorney posts on this site. I am licensed in California. I am not licensed in another state or country. I do not practice law outside of California.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer