Skip to main content

How old do you have to be to legally leave a parents home in the state of Texas?

Baytown, TX |

My granddaughter will be 17 in Sept and her mother is trying to force her to move to another city She is 4th in her class, a member of National Honor Society, a member of student council, has the lead in One Act Play in the fall, is on the tennis team, and numerous other activities She is also taking college classes through her high school along with her regular classes and will graduate with a 2 year degree. She has an excellent chance for college scholarships if she continues and graduates in the high school she is attending She has been offered a place to live with her best friends family Her dad died 6 years ago and her mother has not been a very responsible parent since then and my granddaughter matured and had to be the parent. What are her options. We don't live in the same town.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Sounds like the mother is putting her own desires ahead of her daughter's best interests. Unfortunately, until she turns 18 (or is legally emancipated), she must live where her mother dictates. If she refused to live where her mother says, her mother could report her as a runaway and have the police pick her up and return her home.

Although I have answered the question to try to help you, you should consult with a lawyer in your area in person on the matter. In addition, my answer does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us.


18. If she can prove that she can hold a job, pay ALL of her bills (rent, food, car, gas, so on), then she might be able to be emancipated (declared "of age") earlier. Otherwise, her mother will be able to make these decisions, even if they do not seem to be best for the child.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Texas.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer