Skip to main content

How old do you have to be to decide which parent you want to live with in Washington State? How do you do this?

Poulsbo, WA |

My mother and I are constantly fighting over petty little things. I believe that she needs anger management and i have suggested it only to find myself grounded the next day. She threatened to punch me and i told her i would call the police if she did. My sister and I were considering running away. However the consequences of running away are much to risky and we cannot throw away our future like that. My father and I get along great! My parents went through a nasty divorce when i was about 8 (I' am now 15). My father is not the man he used to be. He is hard working and responsible. The visitation in the parenting plan was Wednesdays (3:30pm-7:pm) and every other weekend. My father wants us over more. My sister and i both want this she is 13 i am 15! Please help. Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Please discuss this issue with a school counselor or a relative. It is inappropriate to give legal advice to a minor in a fourm of this nature. You have two parents that care about you. A child in Wa. has no legal authority to choose with whom they want to live -- that is a parental decision or failing that, a decision to be made by the Court. Please -- talk to your school counselor. There are lots of resources out there to assist you in this situation.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer