Skip to main content

How old can you be to move out of your parents home in GA?

Demorest, GA |

I am 17, going to be 18 in October. I have read so many articles and discussions about GA law on the legal age to move out. GA law requires a minor to be 18 until they can legally move out. Other discussions between parents and teenagers my age say that at 17, a minor can move out and still return home until they turn 18. I make and manage my own money. Im just very restricted under my parent's rule.

I've seen posts by parents of a minor that said the cops told them "Under the laws in Georgia, a child is considered an adult in the eyes of the law at 17. The child can move out of their own free will but can not be kicked out until they are 18." The cops also told her that they were limited to making sure that the minor was not harmed, abused, was mentally stable and capable, and that they had moved out on their own free will and not because they were in danger.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


A person remains a "minor", and subject to the control of their parents, until they become emancipated. Automatic emancipation by age happens at age 18.

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.


While Georgia prosecutes 17 year olds in adult criminal court, they are not adults until age 18 and have none of the rights of an adult.

The answer, which lawyers post here over and over, is very simple. One is not an adulty until age 18. You can move out on your 18th birthday. Unless you are emancipated by a court order, no matter how many 17 year olds post here, the answer remains the same.

In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in this email is tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer