Skip to main content

How much time will I do for 10oz of dope, and 6 thousand dollars, and a scale?

Downey, CA |

I got caught with these things and the cop let me go, as an informant and I want to get out of being an informant. The only way I know how to get out is by if I do time. How much time will I do for all of this.?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


There are way too many circumstances to be able to determine the potential outcome of a plea to any particular charge(s). You need to hire counsel to advise and represent you in this case.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.


FIrst, I would not post on avvo the fact that you have been an informant because with the other details you post, it might be identifiable and traceable back to you. Second, you need to consult with a qualified attorney who has handled possession for sales and sales cases near Downey and Norwalk. What I am getting from your post is that you think you are guilty, but speak to an attorney before you reach that conclusion, you may have defenses that you do not know about. You can contact me through my website, I have an office in Downtown LA:


Informants or rats are universally despised for good reason. They have a generally corruptive effect on the criminal justice system. Convicts are offered extraordinary inducement for cooperating in criminality or by providing false testimony of confessions magically revealed to them in custody. Though informants may escape just punishment for their cooperation or testimony, they often place themselves in an even more dangerous situation as their is nothing more loathsome to an "honest con" than a snitch. Informants also face the problem of being an "informal snitch" where there is not solid contract outlining exactly what has to be done that has been reviewed thoroughly by defense counsel. In this situation, the cop can use, abuse, and dispose of the informant after he becomes useless. You need to find a local criminal attorney that isn't known to represent snitches to negotiate the best outcome for you.


Well, there are more ways than that to "get out of it." Did the officer have probable cause to search you? Were you driving? Were you at home? Were you caught with 10oz of dope in front of an elementary school? The circumstances of your arrest are the biggest, most important issues if you want to "get out of it" by going to trial. If you don't want to go to trial, just sit back and wait for the cops to come find you, plead guilty, do your time and "get out of it," that way.

If you are just asking about time, California Health and Safety Code 11351 is possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, and it is a felony. A conviction is punishable either (a) with probation and up to a year county jail, or (b) by two, three or four years in the California state prison and a maximum $20,000 fine


You need to consult with a defense attorney. Possession of Meth for Sale is punishable up to 3 years in County Jail, subject to more enhancements. If the substance was Cocaine, it can be punishable by up to 5 years in County Jail, subject to the enhancements. Give me a call to discuss this matter further.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Southern California Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer