Skip to main content

How much time for armed robbery?

Clearwater, FL |

My friend recorded his friend robbing a guy and using a knife with his phone camera, my friend had no weapon, he's 16 but being tried as an adult, is he considered an accessory? Will he get the 25 year sentence? He has no criminal background and no one was injured during the robbery.

it's his first offence and he has been cooperating with the legal system and authorities

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


He can get anything from probation to 30 years in prison if he is charged with Robbery while Armed.

John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.



Even though he was only an accessory?


As previously stated, he can get the maximum as if he actually committed the robbery. Why would someone help the police by recording themselves and friends commit a crime? Good Luck to your friend.

Although AVVO answers provide a starting point, nothing replaces the opinion of a qualified DUI defense attorney knowledgable about the Judges and prosecutors near you. You should consult a local lawyer for legal advice.


Armed robbery with a deadly weapon is a 1st degree felony punishable by up to life in prison. I'm guessing your friend did a bit more than "record" the crime. While he can be prosecuted as an adult and face a significant prison sentence under the sentencing guidelines, he may also be eligible for a sentence under Florida's Youthful Offender Act, under which the Court can sentence a defendant to a maximum of 6 years, which may be a combination of prison and probation. His attorney would have to schedule a hearing at which evidence would be presented to convince the judge that your friend deserved such a sentence. At 16, with no prior record, he has a chance.

I have practiced criminal law in Pinellas County for 31 years. Please have your friend's family contact me for a no-cost consultation as soon as possible.

good Luck,

Robert E. Heyman, Esq..