Skip to main content

How much time could my husband get for an VOP? What can I do to help?

Newark, NJ |

He was arrested on warrants from 3 different cities for nonpayment. He has been unemployed and could not pay. He is being held in Delaney Hall with no bail. No hearing date has been set as of yet.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

He can be sentenced to the maximum jail time permitted on the original charge. If a third degree that is 5 years. For nonpayment in Essex County, jail time might not happen. Call his attorney from the original case. That attorney has the entire file and will know the score better than a new attorney without this information.


The VOP sentence will be geared toward what the original charges were, and what the nature of the violation(s) is and any prior history with probation. More information is needed in order to answer this question.


There are certain types of questions that can be simply answered on Avvo, while there are others that require considerably more analysis. For this particular question, you need to provide additional details concerning the specifics of your situation.

You owe it to yourself to contact a lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.