Skip to main content

How much tax will I have to pay on 145,000 gift from my dad

Napa, CA |
Attorney answers 4


If the gift is cash and does not generate income, in general you are not subject to gift tax. Only the donor is subject to gift tax. Please consider to hire a estate and tax attorney. Best.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


Unless you dad has used up his lifetime exclusion amount and there is a net gift agreement (mean the gift pays the tax), you will not owe any taxes. Gifts are the obligation of the donor and after the 14,000 annual exclusion, the donor has a lifetime exemption of $5.25M. Gifts do not create income.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


I agree with my colleagues that you would normally not need to pay any tax on this gift. Of course, there are situations when that is not the case. You would not pay gift tax because gift tax, if there is one, is paid by the donor.

But you would generally receive a "carry-over basis" in the gifted assets, (which is what your dad paid for them). If you later sell the assets at a gain, you would pay income tax on this. You might also have estate taxes, if your estate is very large.

So the best advice is to consult with your own lawyer to determine what tax ramifications you have, if any.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


As long as you are both US citizens/taxpayers then you have the benefit of the US gift tax rules which have the gifts taxed to the donor (your dad) and not to you as the recipient. However, you need to be mindful of the type of gift too. If it is cash, then there is no further concern by you as long as your dad reported it properly on Form 709, or if it was from his estate, then on the Form 706. If you received property (not cash) then you receive the tax basis from your dad as well as the tax holding period, and when you sell the item you will need to report any taxable gain you earn at the time of sale.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer