Skip to main content

How much should be minimum for settlement

Shelton, CT |

I was in a hit and run accident I have had numerous injections in my back. the guy was drunk when he rearended me at a red light. what is the minimum I should accept from his insurance company to compensate me? my insurance has also pd approximately 20k in medical bills

also, the orthopedic has set me around 6% disability rating after I did a few months of therapy with no relief

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


The minimum is probably more than you can get without qualified personal injury counsel. This business is no different than any other; you get what you pay for.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff



I have an attorney I am just trying to figure out what is the least I should settle for

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams


Assuming you have a qualified personal injury attorney, he/she knows how to properly evaluate your case. For any lawyer to opine as to value without all relevant facts is being irresponsible and unprofessional; in my view. Your question is entirely appropriate. Be leery of those who claim to know. Ask your attorney to explain. Good luck.


This is not a claim that you should be handling on your own. The insurance company adjustors do this all day long. Have you ever done this before? You are asking the right questions, but there are numerous unknown facts that come into play. I would strongly suggest that you contact a local area personal attorney and talk to him/her about your case. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Choose an experienced attorney and one you feel comfortable with and then retain that attorney. Sorry to hear about your back. Best of luck.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


This question cannot be answered on the basis of the information provided, not to mention the fact that it depends in large part on how much coverage is available. I assume from your question that the "hit-and-run driver" has been identified and has insurance, but if he only had a minimal policy ($20k in coverage) that may be all you get, unless you have under-insured motorist coverage that applies. If the driver is unidentified, you will need to file an uninsured motorist claim on your own policy. I would be happy to discuss this further if you wish to call tomorrow


You are making errors. You have a significant amount of bills. Liability seems certain--a rear end collision is almost always the fault of the other driver and he was drunk. YOur error is thinking you can handle this on your own and save money by not hiring an attorney. I see my job in any case as getting more money for my client than my client can get on his/her own
It is impossible to tell the value of your claim without more information and information that would be difficult for you to convey in this type forum. There is no standard amount and why would you want the minimum anyway? Why are you not seeking what your claim is actually worth?
There are a lot of issues you cannot effectively handle on your own. For instance, if the other driver has the state minimum coverage, perhaps you are owed that--but do you have underinsured motorist coverage on your own policy that will pay you if the other driver does not have enough insurance coverage to pay the value of your claim? Does your state require you to obtain consent of your carrier to settle the claim with the other driver's insurance company first in order to make a claim under your policy? You need to sit down and speak with an attorney who handles auto claims in your state. These consultations are usually free; so you have nothing to lose in learning how to protect your legal rights.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.


No lawyer can give you a figure based on the little information provided. Many lawyers offer free consultations. You can meet with them for free no obligation to hire them. Find a lawyer in your area that offers free consultations.

This answer is for general education purposes only. It does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is it intended to provide legal advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


Without a lawyer, you would either get #1. nothing or #2. a tiny nuisance settlement


You definitely need a lawyer to help you with your case. Insurance companies are generally not going to compensate you for the true value of your case unless you have representation. There are many issues that one needs to know to determine settlement value, including the policy of the insured, your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and your age. Feel free to call me if you would like to discuss your case further.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer