Skip to main content

How much notice does and employer have to give before a pay cut?

Palo Alto, CA |

I realize that I am an "at will" employee and my employer can change the condition of my employment; however, before an employer cuts pay, how much notice should be given? I work in California and my employer is attempting to sell his business. To make the company look more profitable, all employees had their wages cut. Our pay period is bi-monthly and notice of the pay cut, for the prior two weeks worked, was given the day before we received pay for that period; consequently, we were working for nearly two weeks at a reduced pay without notice. Should we have received notice when before we were actually working for less money?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

This is a black and white violation, no ambiguity or variations at all. Pay cuts can be prospective only.

All of the employees should together address this issue with the employer and mention that an active labor complaint will not enhance the sales value of the business. If necessary, employees can get together and get an attorney or make a complaint to the State Labor Commissioner.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


At will gives the employer great power to change terms and conditions, but not this far. You can have your pay cut immediately moving forward on notice from the employer, but the employer can never cut pay for hours already worked. Doing so is a violation of law.

You can make a claim with the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, or you can file a claim in small claims or superior court. You might also consider simply having an attorney write a letter to the employer on your behalf or to collectively do so to protect any one person from unlawful retaliation.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


A retroactive paycut is really nothing more than a disguised forfeiture of earned wages. That is to say, it's entirely illegal. Your options are to make an informal demand of payment to your employer, file a wage claim with the DLSE, or file a lawsuit in civil court. Good luck to you.

This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek an attorney for a review of your specific facts and documents.


There is no exception to the rule, your employer cannot cut your wages, have you work for what is perceived to be a higher rate and then inform you after the fact that he has cut your wages. This is a slam dunk win before the Labor Board, you can also receive penalties and attorney fees.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.