Skip to main content

How much money do I need for my assets for my I-864 form?

Chicopee, MA |

My latest income tax does not exceed the Poverty Guideline. My latest income tax was $23,200. The poverty guideline for my household (a household of three) is $24,412. I was told that I need three times the difference of the Poverty guideline and my latest income tax in a bank account. How much would I need?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


What you really need is to secure a co-sponsor to file another Affidavit of Support supplementing yours .

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


The combination of your income and assets need to meet 125% of the poverty guidelines. Any assets you use in completing your I-864 will be less any money owed on those assets.


You need the difference times 5 in cash or equity. To be safe, get a co sponsor.


I advise that you try to obtain a joint sponsor, who does not have to be a family member or relative. He/she shall be a U.S. citizen or with permanent residency status.

J.W.LAW, Office locations: Quincy & Worcester, MA, New York Tel. 617.221.3030 If you find the attorneys' answers are helpful, please thank the attorneys by marking their answers "helpful" or "best answers" so that they can get their credit from AVVO. The attorneys donate their time on AVVO to answer legal questions for free merely contribute their legal advice and do not create any legal representation relationships.


If you need to include your assets, the net value has to be 3 times (if you sponsoring a spouse or a minor child) or 5 times (if sponsoring other relative) the difference between your household income and poverty guidelines.


I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer