Skip to main content

How much money can you give your children yearly without penalty?

Grand Blanc, MI |

My mother has $60,000 in savings. How much money can she give to her four children without repercussions?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


She has a $13,000 annual gift exclusion per child before having to file a gift tax return, and a $1 million lifetime exclusion for gift taxes if she goes over that amount. She will need to file a gift tax return in that case but will not owe any gift taxes up to $1 million.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.


Presently the IRS limit is $13,000.00 per person, per year. So, she may gift up to $13,000 per child if she wishes. However, this will have adverse effects if she later needs Medicaid (nursing home) assistance. You may wish to consult an elder law attorney in your area.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The above is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. The laws of every state are different and, in fact, I am not licensed in MI. My answering this one question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us and I am answering this only according to AVVO rules.


I agree with the prior attorney. Note that what we are talking about as far as the $13,000 exclusion per donee per annum is gift tax. So she can gift to each of you this amount and not use up her lifetime $1,000,000 gift tax exclusion. From an income tax perspective, gifts are not taxable income so none of you need report this gift on your income tax return. Finally, note that this $13,000 is indexed for inflation, but the IRS has announced that for 2011 the amount remains at $13,000.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is, his website is and his blog is
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer