Skip to main content

How much minimum investment is required to get the green card?

Easton, MD |

I am doing the construction business in Africa & presently holding 5 years B1/B2 visa. I already visited to my parents/sister's in US last year in holiday. I am still unmarried & my US citizen sister already done the petition in 2007 as family file under F4 category. I am interested to invest $200,000 to $300,000 from my personnel/ company account to US in Motel business where motel is not running in smoothly. Before I can invest what is the legal way to get the green card? or can I firstly in in US on B1/B2 visa & then can I apply for Adjustment of status on investment basis? which is the best option for me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You can do an E-2 first and then reinvest in the company. When you reach either $500K or $1million, then you can apply for permanent residence.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500



Can you please explain me about E-2, thanks for your time.

Myron Russell Morales

Myron Russell Morales


The level of investment for an E-2 is less than if you do the EB-5 program. It is a nonimmigrant visa that can put you on a path to permanent residency.


All EB-5 investors must invest in a new commercial enterprise, which is a commercial enterprise. Required minimum investments are:

General. The minimum qualifying investment in the United States is $1 million.
Targeted Employment Area (High Unemployment or Rural Area). The minimum qualifying investment either within a high-unemployment area or rural area in the United States is $500,000.

For complete information use this link: All EB-5 investors must invest in a new commercial enterprise, which is a commercial enterprise:

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

J Thomas Smith Ph.D.

J Thomas Smith Ph.D.


The I-526 can take up to 12 months. Also, "dual intent" is a violation of law. Do consult an immigration attorney.


I agree with my colleague: $500,000 is the minimum, in the proper geographic area.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


if you are talking EB5, it is one million or $500 in targeted employment areas. If yo are from one from the countries that qualify for E visa, it is substantial amount.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Whatever you do, be sure to hire a securities attorney to assist you in performing due diligence on the project. The landscape is littered with EB-5 projects run amok.

The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer