How much in total does a lawyer cost to fight cps

Dallas, TX |

My kids got tooken in foster care back in April for my mental health but I feel there was no.need cause there was no evidence of abuse nor neglect

A lawyer cannot give you a total, because we charge by the hour. We are not in control of how many hours it takes. My retainer in this type of case right now is $4,000.00. A retainer is an advance deposit. My hourly rate is $250 per hour. It may take several renewals of the retainer to complete your case.
If you are indigent an attorney will be appointed to represent you if CPS is going to request that your parental rights be terminated. Ask that an attorney be appointed for you. Bring proof of your income. If you receive government aid you should be eligible to have an attorney appointed for you. Unfortunately, a lot of the court-appointed attorneys are not very good or diligent. Some are.
The case law is clear that CPS does not have to wait until there is actual harm to the children. A favorite ground is "knowingly placed or knowingly allowed the child to remain in conditions or surroundings which endanger the physical or emotional well-being of the child." No harm required.
If you don't comply with their request that you get treatment for your mental illness, and do every other thing they ask, it is likely that they will terminate your parental rights. Doing most of what they ask is not enough. This is real. The caseworkers and evaluators are not your friends. That nice Judge permanently terminates parental rights several times each month.

This does not establish an attorney/client relationship

Thats alot money but um I'm getting treatment only cause its ordered I don't feel I have an mental health problem I feel I have anger problem but wats the point of doin court orders if your rights gonna be still terminated

Dorothea Elaine Laster

Dorothea Elaine Laster

If you do everything they ask you to your rights may not be terminated. Your feelings that your rights will be terminated anyway are NOT facts. When I quit smoking cigarettes in 1998 I felt like my head was going to explode and my brains would be sprayed all over the wall. Luckily that was just a feeling and not a fact. And the nice thing about feelings is that they pass. Of course you are getting treatment only because they ordered it!! So what? And why isn't excessive intrusive anger that interferes with your life a mental health problem??? Dive into the treatment with gusto. Because your attitude will likely be testified about to the court, or appear in a report somewhere. Say to yourself over and over again that you are going to do everything you can to get your kids back--and do it. Just do it.

Dorothea Elaine Laster

Dorothea Elaine Laster

I wanted to add. You are probably feeling depression which is affecting your outlook, feelings of hopelessness and motivation. Take your prescribed medication. Talk with your care providers if it is not working.

No.I dont feel depression I feel normal just a lil irritable here and there Imiss my kids here and there but thats life but iI do everything they ask to the max all I focus on now is completing my court orders

Dorothea Elaine Laster

Dorothea Elaine Laster

Good girl! I'm rooting for you!!

Awww thanks

I'm sure you were appointed an attorney and you can meet with them to discuss contesting the case.

This answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. Consult my office for a confidential consultation. Leslie Barrows, The Barrows Firm, P.C. looks forward to protecting your rights!

Ok

There is no way to know how much your case will cost. Each case is different and the fees can vary with the complexity of the case. Attorney hourly rates differ as well, so there is really no way to say. There are some attorneys who work for flat fees, but I'm usually very skeptical about the services and results you receive from flat fee attorney who work in the are of family law.

Please be advised that by providing this information and/or opinion to you, you have not engaged the legal represenation of this firm and our response to this question is for informational purposes only.