Skip to main content

How much freedom does a father have to seeing his child when he's abusive to mother and child? no marriage

Tinley Park, IL |

father signed custody rights to mother, now after 8 months demands to see daughter, supervised visits started 2 months ago. Now father wants unsupervised visitation..Father was abusive to mother and child, no police was contacted for fear that situation would get worse.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If there is a court order for supervised visits then he is the one who would have to file with the court and go to court to change them from supervised to unsupervised. I think it is highly unlikely that will happen but if he tries you should have an attorney represent you.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


Too many facts are missing. Is there a finding of parentage? Is there an order for visitation or custody? If not, then a court order is needed. If so, perhaps a modification of that order might be needed. History of abuse toward mother may be irrelevant, but toward child is not. However, proof will be required. You do not indicate whether you are the father or the mother or someone not a party, but regardless of the answer, each parent should consult with one or more attorneys for more specific legal guidance and advice.


You haven't provided enough information for an answer to this. I would recommend going to talk to a lawyer in person and retaining one.


It's unclear whether you are the mother or father in this case. Regardless, if there is already an order for supervised visits in place, the father would need to file a motion for unsupervised visitation and the court may order that.

I suggest you seek an attorney's counsel on this issue immediately.

Any answer I provide to individual's questions are based upon general knowledge and do not create an attorney-client relationship. There is not enough information provided to give a full and complete legal response and you must meet with me or another attorney directly in order to discuss the details of your entire case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer