Skip to main content

How much Child Support should I be paying?

Orlando, FL |

I moved to CALIFORNIA, my ex wife lives in FLORIDA with our daughter. I have been unemployed for a year now (I am waiting for my work permit) I do, however, pay $300 (I had money saved up) of child support every month to my ex. She has been complaining that I should be paying more.
She makes $1200 a month and I make $0. Technically, how much should I be paying?

(Any estimate would help thank you).

(Also, the child support I pay... Do I go by the California guidelines or the Florida guidelines?)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Since the child lives in Florida, you would go by the Florida guidelines. I have put a link to a Child Support guidelines web based calculator below. It sounds like there isn't an order in place - be very careful to keep receipts of the money you send to her as she could file for Child Support and you could be ordered to pay arrears - any proof you have that you have been supporting the child will be helpful.

This response is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney to fully discuss your issues.


Even if you are unemployed, the courts here would impute minimum wage income to you. Is there a current child support order? If the child is in Florida, then the Florida guidelines would be used. The child support amount would approximately $282 plus a portion of the health insurance and childcare expenses for the child.


I agree with my colleagues that Florida would be the home state of the child and enforcement of any child support guidelines, arrears, etc. I also agree that you should keep strict receipts of all monies paid to the mother. If she ends up filing any type of child support action against you please make sure to contact an attorney right away.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-377-6828. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.