Skip to main content

How might burglary charges be reduced?

Hazlehurst, GA |

My son turned 17 on 4-27-13. Sometimes in 6-13 him and 4 other guys were shooting ball at HS gym. They left gym and found door open to school and went in with heads covered with shirts. On camera running through the school going in and out of classes. He picked bag in library which had a camera in it and other guy picked up on that had a camcorder. Left school with it. Next day, the other guys got their cousin to pawn only the camera b/c camcorder didn't have power cord. Cops found out this month b/c guy who pawned it got locked up for other charges which led back to the 5 students. My son is facing burglary 2nd degree and is a first time offender. Never been in any trouble in and out of school. Would have been starting in FB this senior year and never been retained. Pretty much good kids.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There is a chance that your sons charges can be reduced, but it really depends on where he has to go to court. Some courts have pre trial diversion options, others require that your son work something out with the prosecution, all depends on the facts of the case. You should at least talk with an attorney and get a free consultation.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.


He is facing serious felony charges that usually involve prison time. I would strongly recommend hiring an attorney. It might be possible to work out a reduction or probation with the DA but you need a lawyer to help.