Skip to main content

How many years i should wait to be eligible to apply for US citizenship?

Bedford Park, IL |

how many years i should wait to be eligible to apply for US citizenship? i got my Permanenent Resident Card through Marriage to US citizen...what are requirments?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


3 years.

3 years.

Go to and follow the links on naturalization.

They have great info pages .... and VIDEOS!!

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.



Thank you


3 years from the date you became a Lawful Permanent Resident


2 years and 9 months. Req's are to still be married to the same USC through you got your green card; be a person of good moral character & not be on any type of probation with a law enforcement agency; AND must have resided and been physically present in the US for at least half of the 2 yrs, 9 months.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


You can apply at 2 years and 9 months. More about Naturalization here:

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.


2 years 9 months after the effective date on your green card if you meet the general requirements and satisfy the 3-year rule: married to a us citizen for 3 years, living with same USC for 3 years, and the USC has been a USC for 3 years.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Please visit our website at For questions or to schedule a consultation, please call 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.