Skip to main content

How many years I have to paid child support?

Cherry Hill, NJ |
Attorney answers 4


Your child of age 22 may be emancipated soon. The remainders have years left, anywhere between 6-20 years, depending on college attendance.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed


If there are special needs issues it is even possible that the answer is "no limit" for one ore more of them, and college years may be covered as well, beyond age 21.

This should not be considered legal advice and is intended for educational purposes only. It does not constitute a contract for legal services between any parties. Answers are given to questions for which there may be additional facts not mentioned which might change the legal issues or consequences.


There is no specific end date that a lawyer can provide you. Every case is fact sensitive depending on the circumstances of a particular child. For example, a disabled child may never be emancipated. However, your child support may be offset by government benefits that the child receives. I suggest you consult with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your situation, especially with regards to the 22 year old. It could be that the 22 year old may already be considered emancipated.


I agree with my colleague, Mr. Fradkin. Although there is pending legislation in NJ (S-1046) which would provide automatic termination of child support when a child turns age 19 (with several exceptions of course), this bill has not yet become the law in NJ. Your best bet at this point would be to consult with an experienced family law attorney as to whether or not your 22-year-old should be emancipated and follow the changes in NJ law regarding your other children.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer