Skip to main content

How many years can a permanent resident apply for US citizenship?

Newport Beach, CA |

My daughter who is married to a US Citizen petitioned me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6



The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


After five years of permanent residency you can apply for citizenship.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


Not quite clear on who you are asking for. If your daughter is the LPR and she remains married to her US Citizen husband she can apply for citizenship within 3 years. This should help bump your priority date on the petition she filed for you. Consult an experienced immigration attorney.

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney.

Belen Teresa Gomez

Belen Teresa Gomez


I agree. If a person, like your daughter, has their green card due to marriage to a US citizen, then they must only wait 3 years. However, if you need to apply for your citizenship, and you received your green card through your daughter, it would be a 5 year wait before applying for naturalization.


I agree with my colleagues. You can apply for US citizenship after 5 years in your situation. Good Luck.

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.


Five years. You can apply 90 days before the fifth anniversary of your GC.

Our law firm handles matters like these and will be glad to assist.

Bindi Parikh
Parikh & Prasad Law Group
(702) 492-4920


You can apply for US Citizenship if you have been a permanent residence for at least 5 years. You can submit your Naturalization application 90 days prior to the 5 year mark.

My office handles naturalization applications -- and is located in Irvine, between Jamboree and MacArthur, and on the border of Newport Beach.

Thank you,
Christy Mohan

Christy Han Mohan, A Law Corporation
Immigration Attorney
19800 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 1000, Irvine, CA 92612
Phone: 949.222.5900 | Fax: 888.488.6431

This is not legal advice, no guarantees/warranties have been made, and no attorney/client relationship has been formed.