How many status hearings can a lawyer ask for before a case goes to trial? Can a plea be entered at a status hearing?

Beverly Hills, FL |

What comes after all the allowed status hearings?

Filed under: Court basics

Best Answer

There is no limit to the number of status checks. The purpose is to get the state and defendant in court to determine what is happening in the case and what needs to be done before trial. Yes, if the defendant is present a plea may be entered if the court permits it. It generally will do so.

Disclaimer: Answers to questions posted on Avvo.com are for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon since the information provided is very limited and it is not possible to properly evaluate the legal issues involved without having all the facts and thoroughly reviewing the applicable law. Neither do they constitute legal advice and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You are not my client and I am not your attorney unless and until you and I sign an agreement of representation

There is no set number of status hearings that are allowed. It depends upon the judge, and most will allow a plea at a status hearing.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

There is no limit. The goal is to see that each side has adequate time to do what needs to be done to ensure a fair trial. A plea can be entered at almost any hearing.